Theme: Third Stage
The third stage of labor is “a powerful and mysterious time; more important than we acknowledge and more complex than we know.” From the initial signs of active labor to baby’s first breaths, we explore the various facets of third stage, including what happens beyond the birth room door, a father’s reflections on labor and controversial issues surrounding third stage “management.” Multicultural considerations of midwifery and birth stories from around the world are also included. Plus, we are celebrating our 100th issue with a special spread dedicated to our favorite question and answer lists. We asked—you answered!
This playful cover design by graphic designer Cathy Guy includes the cover of Issue #1; can you find it?
This playful cover design by MT Graphic Designer Cathy Guy includes the cover of Issue #1; can you find it?
Photographers from past issues of Midwifery Today in collage: Michele Anderson—pinkletoes.com, Elizabeth Boyce—earthmamaphotography.com, Caroline Brown—carolineebrownwebfolio.com, Lora Denton—loradentonphotography.com, Ed Embler, Bonnie Gruenberg—bonniegphotography.zenfolio.com, Natasha Hance—NHancephotography.com, Harriette Hartigan—harriettehartigan.com, Amber Jordan—photographybyamber.com, M. Kim—PermeableLight.com, Laurie Ludes—laurielphotography.com, Patti Ramos—pattiramos.com, Lynsey Stone—dfwbirthphotographer.com, Lyndsay Stradtner—lifeinmotionphotography.com, Jackie Willome—jackiewillomephotography.com
- From the Editor
- Tricks of the Trade
- Marion’s Message
- Media Reviews
- Classified Advertising
- Photo Album
- Active Interference—Simone Snyder
- Placentophagia: Stir-fry, Smoothie or Raw?—Wendy Lubell-Snyder, with Tammi McKinley
- Elizabeth Gilmore Remembered: Through the Eyes of a Friend—Vicki Penwell
- Returning to Traditional Midwifery—Kristi Zittle
- Leaving Well Alone in the Third Stage of Labour—Sarah J. Buckley
- Celebrating 100 Issues of Midwifery Today
- Six Days, Two Healthy Babies, One Extraordinary Birth—Lana Shlafer
- Acute Distress and PTSD Following Childbirth: A Complex Longitudinal Case Study—Emma Jo Knapp
- Adrenaline in Labour—Rayner Garner
- Diversity and Social Justice in Maternity Care as an Ethical Concern—Jon Lasser
- Cards & Letters
- The Strong Women—Seraphim Klinefelter
- With the Grace of God We Shall Deliver This Baby—Sonia Richardson
- Monsoon Baby: Born in Water, by the Water—Lina Duncan
- Rebirth of Ixmucané: Antigua, Guatemala—Jenna Houston and Chloe Gans-Rugebregt
= Membership Article.