Midwifery Today Conference
Helsinki, Finland • 4–8 October 2017
“Trust, Intimacy and Love—The Chemistry of Connection”
Photo by Lynsey Stone—dfwbirthphotographer.com
Preregistration for this conference is closed, however walk-ins are welcome. For easy registration, fill out this form, print it out and bring the form, proof of full-time student status if applicable, and your payment to the registration desk at the conference.
Please join us for our international conference in Helsinki, Finland, on a gorgeous UNESCO site which is on the Sea Fortress Island called Suomenlinna. It is a short 15-minute ferry ride from Helsinki. It has about 800 permanent residents—not including us for our five days there! There are several restaurants on the island as well as a grocery store and many other amenities. Our theme, “Trust Intimacy and Love—The Chemistry of Connection,” is such an important one. We have a great group of speakers who will present and interact with you on some of the most important issues in Midwifery and Birth.
Learn from These Inspiring Speakers
Please click linked names to view speaker biographies.
Choose from over 40 different classes!
These are some of the topics we plan to present at the conference. Please see the conference program for the complete list of classes.
- Midwifery Skills—Full-day session
- Acupressure and Cupping for Birth Practitioners
- Gua Sha for Pregnancy and Birth
- Rebozo Techniques and Practice—Two full-day sessions
- Placenta Medicine—Full-day session
- The Beauty, Power and Uniqueness of Birth
- Shoulder Dystocia
- Birth and Breastfeeding Are One—Full-day session
- And many more rich classes!
Suomenlinna’s conference and banquet facilities offer gorgeous, peaceful conference rooms with beautiful vaulted ceilings. For facility photos and more information, visit the website listed above. For a map of the island, please visit: frantic.s3.amazonaws.com/suomenlinna/2016/12/ENG_suomenlinna_map_service-traffic_bc -facilities_a4.pdf
For general information about Suomenlinna: suomenlinna.fi/en
For visitor information: suomenlinna.fi/en/visitor
People who need cheap, but clean and nice hostel accommodation on the Island can book a hostel bed in a dormitory at Suomenlinna Hostel (www.hostelhelsinki.fi/en). This hostel is reserved only for Midwifery Today attendants. Hostel beds can be booked through Johanna Honkanen by e-mail to Johanna.Honkanen@hus.fi. Hostel cost is 45 euros/night including breakfast. The hostel is the only accommodation on the Island itself.
Cumulus Hotels in Helsinki are offering Midwifery Today participants 15% off daily prices. Hotel rooms can be booked through the hotel web page at www.cumulus.fi/index-eng.php with a product ID/ bookingcode “JUHLAT.”
- Cumulus City Meilahti Helsinki
- Cumulus City Hakaniemi
- Culumus City Kallio
- Cumulus City Kaisaniemi
Omena Hotels in Helsinki are offering Midwifery Today participants 20% off daily prices. Rooms can be booked through the hotel web page www.omenahotels.com/en/ with the discount code MIDWIFERY2DAY. Booking must be made before 31 August 2017 in order to get the discount.
- Omena hotel Helsinki Yrjönkatu
- Omena hotel Helsinki Lönnrotinkatu
There are many hotels, apartments, and hostels in Helsinki within walking distance or by public transportation to the island’s ferry. All are available for booking through booking.com, hotels.com or airbnb.com.
Our Finland contacts have prepared this extensive list of potential accommodations in Helsinki: Accommodations_Helsinki.pdf
Suomenlinna is accessed by a 15-minute ferry ride from Helsinki, Finland. The ferry to Suomenlinna is accessed from the Kauppatori ferry terminal near the Kauppatori (Market) Square. For a ferry schedule, please visit: hsl.fi/sites/default/files/uploads/lautta-muutos_19092016_0.pdf
Detailed transportation tips for getting around in Helsinki are provided in this document: Transportation_Helsinki.pdf.
View Scrapbooks of Previous Conferences
Read What Others Have Experienced at International Conferences
“Everyone was so friendly and warm, I felt I met my ‘tribe’! Thank you so much for this eye-opening experience. I will make sure to come back next time and bring colleagues!”
“I feel very fortunate to have had such an inspirational and educational week amongst such beautiful women who are involved in childbearing and birth all over the globe. Thank you so much.”
- Subscribe to the Conference E-mail List. Stay up to date with the latest news about Midwifery Today Conferences. Receive occasional announcements about new conferences, information on discounts, and reminders for registration deadlines. Sent out approximately once a month.
- Keep up to date with conference news on Facebook
- To receive a printed program by mail, please e-mail us with your request.
- Attend other Midwifery Today Conferences around the world!
- Children at the Conference: Mothers may sit with babes in arms in the classrooms. However, out of respect for others and, because we are recording some of the classes, if a baby makes any noise, we must ask mother and baby to leave the room. Attendees must make their own arrangements for childcare.