Birth & Midwifery in Singapore
Resources for parents and practitioners
Connect with many more midwives and birth enthusiasts from around the world by joining IAM, the International Alliance of Midwives!
Some of the following sites may not be in English; an online translator may be useful.
Midwifery Today Country Contact*
*To learn what a Country Contact is or to reach any Midwifery Today Country Contact, click here.
Di Bustamante is the owner of ParentLink (www.ParentLink.org), the first organization in Asia to offer professional labor support (doula services), founded by Nikki Macfarlane in 1997.
Deborah Fox has a varied list of credentials: RM (Australia and Singapore), BMid (Australia), Cert CBE (Australia), MSc (UK, in progress). She works as a midwife and childbirth educator at the National University Hospital in Singapore. She provides woman-centered midwifery care and education to women seeking physiological birth or waterbirth at the hospital and is happy to discuss childbearing options and individual needs with anyone planning to birth in Singapore. Deborah tells us: “I am keen to spread awareness of the choices of care for women here, especially those arriving from countries where midwifery care is the norm.”
- ParentLink—From preconception planning to parenting classes, ParentLink is with parents every step of the way. ParentLink classes empower and provide parents everything they need to know to make informed choices about birthing and parenting. ParentLink doulas aide in the transition to motherhood by providing emotional and informational support through labour, birth, breastfeeding and newborn care.
- Singapore Nurses’ Association—regulates midwives in Singapore
- Four Trimesters—Ginny Phang, HBCE: The vision of Four Trimesters is to improve maternity care. Our aim for parents is help them achieve a positive and empowering birth experience. Four Trimesters specializes in HypnoBirthing Antenatal Classes, Childbirth Education and Doula services.
- International Cesarean Awareness Network—ICAN Singapore
- Tranquil Beginnings offers birth doula and postpartum services aswell as CBE and Hypnonatal classes. For mothers interested in getting breastfeeding councelling and advice there is a monthly Milk Café. Sandra Versele also offers Shantala babymassage classes and teaches childbirth education for kids in primary years.