Birth & Midwifery in Italy
Resources for parents and practitioners
Connect with many more midwives and birth enthusiasts from around the world by joining IAM, the International Alliance of Midwives!
Some of the following sites may not be in English; an online translator may be useful.
Midwifery Today Country Contact*
*To learn what a Country Contact is or to reach any Midwifery Today Country Contact, click here.
Verena Schmid and Valeria Barchiesi
Verena Schmid has been a midwife for over 25 years. She has founded a center for natural and homebirth with continuity of care from conception until the first year of the baby; a midwifery magazine; and a school with the goal of teaching Italian midwives the true sense of the midwifery model of care and promoting a new birth culture.
In 2000 Verena won the prestigious Astrid Limburg award for midwifery achievement and excellence. She teaches in hospitals all over Italy, in several European countries and in her school. She is the author of two books and an activist in political promotion of natural birth and midwifery. At the time she is working at a project for a birth center in Florence.
- Associazione Nascita Dolce
- ANEP Italia (Ass. nazionale educazione prenatale)—Prenatal education for the baby in the womb
- Ass. Centro Nascita Montessori—Prenatal and postnatal classes, counselling for parents
Via G.B. Benedetti 9, 00197 Roma
- Melograno Centro Educazione Nascita e Maternità,
Finalità: servizi per le donne e le famiglie prima durante e dopo la nascita
Prenatal and postnatal classes, counselling for parents
- Centro Studi Egeria—Prenatal and postnatal classes, counselling for parents
Via Marchese di Villabianca 9, 90143 Palermo
Tel. 091 30 85 07
- Ass. Culturale Spazio Nascita—Prenatal and postnatal classes, body work, antigymnastic, haptonomie
- Ass. Nazionale Psicologia e Educazione Prenatale (A.N.P.E.P.)—Association for prenatal psychology and education
- www.vitadidonna.it—contraception, women's health, maternity services
- www.lostetricainforma.it—Midwive's information: informed choice in pregnancy, birth and the time after
- www.nascereacasa.it—National association of home birth
- www.casamaternita.it—Birth Center in Milan
- www.ilmioparto.it—information about birth
- www.catpress.com/verenaschmid—Salutogenesis, articles about physiology
- www.saperidoc.it—Evidence-based medicine (with some articles in English)
- La Leche League—Italy Chapter
- Ass. Nascere in Casa Torino—Association of parents to promote free choice, natural birth and offering information on the opportunities of choice in the comunity
- Scuola Elementale di Arte Ostetrica—Continous education for midwives in the midwifery model of care, with classes in german and english language
- MIPA Centro Studi (Movimento Internazionale Parto Attivo)—Classes and workshops for prenatal educators, midwives and other birthworkers
- Ass. Nascita Dolce, Natura e Scienza—Tel. 081 776 36 40 / 347 6360 271
Classes and workshops about natural birth and newborn care, prenatal courses
- Ass. ANDRIA—Association of doctors and midwives for the application of evidence-based medicine; workshops and conferences